Sunday, March 1, 2015

1 Day Before Surgery & Pre-Op Diet

These last few days prior to surgery have been a full range of mixed emotions. One minute I am semi-excited, then the next I am almost in tears I'm so scared. 


Of course my biggest fear is not waking up. I have read the statistics. I know the Gastric Sleeve is one of the safest weight loss surgeries. I know that is has the best recovery rates and fewest complications. But, it's still a surgery.
I think of how my life will change. It's not just for a few months or a year. This will be my new life...for my whole life. I know if I use it correctly it will actually help me live a healthier, more active life...but again, it's still a surgery....and I worry about not waking up.

The week before my surgery my doctor had me drink two protein shakes a day, two light snacks and a light meal comprised mostly of protein.
I drank AdvantEdge Carb Control shakes. Since I have never drank a protein shake before I didn't know they needed to be cold. I almost vomited the first time I tried it. I knew this would be a week from hell.
I figured it out quickly the shakes needed to be refrigerated. The first few days were torture. All I could think of was food...food...food...food. I would have carrots or celery or broccoli for my snacks and dinner would be baked fish or chicken a fresh veggie, like green beans, asparagus and brussel sprouts. 

My pre-op diet did help me lose 15 pounds in one week before surgery. Here I am before my pre-op diet at 285. 
This was my first day on my pre-op diet. 
This one is Friday, my last day of work and my fifth day on my pre-op diet. 
I'm down 12 pounds here.

And this is just a close up of the changes in my face after losing those first 15 pounds. The top picture was taken last night and the bottom one was right before my pre-op diet started.
My current weight is 270. 
My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning. I am nervous and scared and yet excited. 
I am ready to not live to eat but eat to live. 
I am ready to have more to focus on than what and when my next meal will be.
I am ready to achieve what will be a HUGE goal for me...to run a mile without stopping.
I am ready to buy a normal sized bra that won't cost upwards of $100 and have to be ordered online!
I am ready to fit in an airplane seat comfortably.
I'm ready for the new life this surgery will help me achieve.
I am really ready to be finished with the surgery and get started on my recovery.



No comments:

Post a Comment