Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Approval and a Surgery Date

This could possibly be the email that changes my life.
I started my journey to weight loss surgery several years ago. My husband and I visited with a doctor about the lap band. I wasn't convinced and honestly unsure about having "equipment" inside me. 
At the time I wasn't uncomfortable, had no medical issues and shelved the idea of weight loss surgery.

A few years passed and my husband and I visited with another doctor, did the psych tests, met the nutritionist and again, shelved the idea. 
A couple of more years pass and we visited yet a third weight loss surgeon, didn't feel convinced that he was doing this for the health aspect and not for cosmetic reasons. I still get his emails and need to unsubscribe from them. 
Then we met with a fourth doctor. A co-worker used him and was happy with her results, so we visited him. I'm not sure why we didn't go back but we didn't and when we finally did his cost sky-rocketed.
By this time my husband has several health issues that would be serious if he didn't get them under control and I was at my highest weight ever. 
I have found it uncomfortable to just be...
I was in a rough landing airplane incident and injured my neck. This left me unable to do the things I did before. Though I had always been overweight, I was still very active. I used to walk 2-3 miles a night with my girls. I would Zumba and do yoga. 
After this neck injury that all stopped and the weight piled on.
I knew the time had come.
Currently I weigh 283 pounds and my husband weighs 291.
We decided to both go with the gastric sleeve for many reasons; fewer complications, quicker healing time and no internal equipment.


When I received the call that my insurance no longer required the six month diet I was over the moon excited! Today I received the above email and by lunch I was scheduled for surgery in 12 days. 

I am so excited but also nervous. I think that is normal. My concern is 1.) not waking up 2.)developing a leak 3.) developing a blood clot 4.) some other major complication that would result in me not making it.

I am excited about wearing prettier clothes and hopefully smaller shoes and good lord, hopefully, please, please a smaller bra!!!
But more than that I am excited about living a healthier life. I am excited to be active, to jog, to not be tired, to cross my legs, to tie my shoes without cutting off my breath, to clean my bottom without cutting off my breath, to fit comfortably in an airplane seat and to not be pre-diabetic...just to name a few.

I start my pre-surgery diet next week. It will consists of two protein shakes and a light dinner of turkey, chicken or fish.
I just can't wait until both my Papa Bear and I are both recovered and on our way to a healthier, longer life together!

No comments:

Post a Comment