Friday, March 13, 2015

Surgery Day

I hardly slept the night before my surgery. I couldn't help but wonder if this would be my last time with my husband and my girls.

The morning of my surgery I washed with the Hibiclens soap they provided, put on freshly washed clothes and headed to the hospital. When weighed before my surgery I was down to 271. I had lost 14 pounds on my pre-surgery diet.



My operating room team came in, introduced themselves and got me prepped for surgery. My surgeon came in and asked if I had any questions. They gave me my "margarita mix" and wheeled me back to the operating room. I remember the bright lights in my face and someone telling me they were giving me an oxygen mask....then I smelled the gas...ugh.... That was the one thing I didn't want. I remember thinking "Oh great, here it comes..." and then I was out. The next thing I remember was someone telling me to cough real hard.

After recovery I was taken up to my room. I did have some gas pains right at the base of my breast bone but it was eased up by walking and burping. I had difficulty keeping my pain medicine down so after the second day I just didn't take it. I was also very nauseated so I stayed in the hospital until Thursday. I did have some vomiting and dry heaving and was soooo terrified I would pop a staple/stitch.

After coming home I continued to walk and sip, sip, sip. You learn quickly when you've had enough or when you've taken in too much water. I did liquids the first week and then moved on to cottage cheese, boiled or scrambled eggs and one time refried beans. During my week of clear liquids I lived on popsicles. They helped soooo much. Just drinking straight water would make me nauseous. Propel water was such a huge help. I still drink it because it breaks up all the water. My surgeon wants me on 64 ounces of water a day. It's not that easy....especially when you can't sip through a straw!

I went to my 10-day check up with my surgeon and I'm down now almost 20 pounds. Since I started my weight loss journey in January I am down exactly 30 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment